Pros and Cons of Organic Lawn Care
As people begin to consider the environmental impact of their lawn care, many turn to organic methods. Organic lawn treatments can be more sustainable, more environmentally friendly, and can be more effective in the long run than non-organic options.
Though there are many benefits to organic lawn care, there are drawbacks, as well. If you’re transitioning from a non-organic lawn to an organic one, there are several important factors to take into consideration.
What Is Organic Lawn Care?
Organic lawn care uses naturally sourced treatments for your lawn. Non-organic lawn care, such as chemicals and artificial fertilizers, may appear to be more effective in treating your lawn, but in reality, non-organic options are not as sustainable as organic lawn care.
For the most part, an organic lawn care routine does not rely on the insecticides and pesticides that are traditionally associated with lawn care. There are several more organic and environmentally-friendly options you may consider when exploring organic lawn care.
Examples of organic lawn care include:
- Organic fertilizer
- Organic soil
- Grubs and earthworms
- Organic grass seed
Pros of Organic Lawn Care
- You can renew your lawn’s ecosystem. Because organic lawn care doesn’t introduce any kind of foreign or artificial chemical to your lawn, you’ll be able to revitalize your lawn’s environment. The soil’s natural nutrients and microbes can thrive under the use of organic lawn care.
- There’s no risk of over-application. When you use non-organic options, you risk exposing your lawn to harmful chemicals and potentially chemical burns. Organic lawn care relies on the nutrients already living in your soil and breaks down much more slowly over a longer length of time. Because of this, your lawn won’t be at risk for chemical burns and your soil will be of better quality.
- It’s better for the environment. Chemical fertilizer can be damaging to both your lawn and the surrounding ecosystem. Because organic lawn care doesn’t dry out your lawn as much as non-organic treatments, it’s far less damaging to the overall environment.
- It’s great for your soil. Non-organic treatments can kill earthworms and the microbes that dwell in your soil, causing it to become hard and dry. Organic lawn care acts more slowly, bringing life to your soil without drying it out.
Cons of Organic Lawn Care
- You will have weeds. As frustrating as they can be to deal with, weed growth is a signal that your organic lawn care treatment is effective. You’ll have to be more diligent about weeding your lawn with organic treatment, but this is ultimately a more sustainable and environmentally friendly option than using chemicals and artificial fertilizers.
- It takes time. When transitioning from non-organic lawn care to organic lawn care, it’s important that you remain patient throughout the entire process. Though non-organic options may appear to work faster, they don’t achieve as effective or sustainable a treatment as organic lawn care options.
- It can be expensive. There’s a reason non-organic options have been popular for so long– they’re significantly cheaper. Though organic lawn care may be slightly more costly, it’s a better investment, as it keeps your lawn looking better for much longer.
- It may not be as consistent. While the more tried-and-true methods of organic lawn care can be effective, it’s a newer practice and is, therefore, less vetted than the chemical fertilizers offered by non-organic lawn care. You’ll have to do your research to make sure you’re providing the best care possible to your lawn, or leave your lawn care to us.
Call Daybreaker Landscapes Today
You deserve to have a property that looks its best. At Daybreaker Landscapes, we work hard to bring out the beauty in every lawn we work on. When you hire Daybreaker Landscapes for your landscaping needs, you’re saying yes to more than just another lawn care company. You’re saying yes to many years of successful experience and satisfied customers.
If you’re ready to explore the organic lawn care options that are available to you, call Daybreaker Landscapes today at (815) 596-0070. We’ll take a look at your property and determine the best approach to making your property thrive. No green thumb? No worries! We’ve worked on many properties over the years, striving to provide excellent landscaping and customer service to all of our clients, whether private or commercial.
Call Daybreaker Landscapes today to get a free estimate and to bring life back to your lawn today.