Outdoor Stairs for Your Lake in the Hills Property
Spending time outdoors has become more and more important as people look for ways to escape their computers, TVs, smartphones, and other screens in their lives. Keeping your outdoor space in top condition may include installing landscaping features, hardscapes, and more so that you can enjoy the area as much as possible.
Your outdoor space should be both beautiful and functional so that you can maximize how much you use it and enjoy its beauty. Some of that functionality could come from installing steps, especially if you have a sloped or hilly property. At Daybreaker Landscapes, our expert hardscape contractors design and install stone steps made from durable and beautiful materials.
If you are considering adding stone steps to your yard, then contact us today at (815) 596-0070 to set up an estimate with one of our team members.
The Benefits of Stone Steps in Your Yard
Whether you are looking to balance out a landscape design or make it easier to navigate a sloped area of your yard, there are many benefits to adding stone steps in your yard, such as:
- Stone lasts much longer than wood. While many people have wooden steps or timber steps, the fact is that stone is a better overall investment. Wood and timber will break down much more quickly, and a rotting wooden step could even create liability issues for you as a property owner. Stone, when maintained correctly, can last upwards of 50 years, depending on the type you choose. Generally, stone will just need to be resealed and treated every ten years or so to keep it in top condition.
- Most types of stone are slip-resistant. In our area of the country, we often see rainy or snowy weather, which can make some surfaces slippery. Many types of stone are slip-resistant, meaning it is less likely that you or a guest could slip and fall while walking down your outdoor steps.
- Stones come in many different color choices. No matter what type you choose, stones provide many different color options, making it easy to choose a material that perfectly complements the outside of your home. If you already have an outdoor living space or other hardscape features in your yard, you can easily match the color of the pavers used to make your patio or outdoor kitchen.
- Steps can add balance to your landscape design. Not all steps are installed to make hilly areas functional. Some are used within a landscape bed to help bring balance to the design and add a focal point that can really beautify the area. If you have a terraced landscape, for example, some stone steps throughout the space could create a flow of continuity and add a new dimension to the overall design.
- They could help boost your overall property value. If your yard is sloped and hilly, potential homebuyers could see that as a negative, especially if they plan on using the yard a lot. Stone steps improve the navigability of your yard and could help put your home above others on the market.
Types of Stone Steps You Can Choose to Add to Your Landscape
While stone itself is a much better choice than wood or timber steps, once you decide to go with stone, you must also determine which type of stone is best for your property in Lake of the Hills, Algonquin, Crystal Lake, and other surrounding areas of Illinois. Learn about the types of stone you can choose from for your new stone steps.
- Concrete: Concrete is a very versatile material, as you can choose to get poured concrete stairs or use concrete pavers. Poured concrete can be stained or stamped depending on your budget. Concrete pavers are an economical choice and come in different colors and patterns, leaving you with endless options for your stone stairs.
- Brick: Used for centuries across the country, brick offers a timeless, classic feel to any hardscape element. You can choose different colors of brick pavers, as well, and pick a pattern that best complements the exterior of your property.
- Bluestone: Named for its blue-gray color, bluestone gives off a sleek, modern look. It can be a bit more expensive than the other options, but the end result is beautiful and appealing.
- Limestone: Limestone can be gray, beige, red, green, or tan, depending on where it was mined. Keeping these colors in mind, also consider that it stays well-insulated. It will not get too cold in winter or too hot in summer, which is beneficial for your kids or pets that may use the steps in summer.
- Granite: Like brick, granite has also been used throughout history in various construction projects. This stone can be used in various forms, and you could utilize it throughout your landscaping, from boulders in landscape beds to granite retaining walls.
- Siloam stone: Natural stone, or Siloam stone, is used to create larger stone steps. While pavers are typically smooth, these are left to look as natural as possible. If you are looking for something that looks like it could have always been a part of your yard, then consider having a hardscape contractor install Siloam stone steps.
If you are uncertain of which stone type to choose, our landscape designers will meet with you and talk you through the benefits of each kind. We know it’s a big decision, and we want to help you make the best choice for you and your family.
Ready to Put Stone Steps on Your Property?
At Daybreaker Landscapes, we work with all types and sizes of properties throughout Crystal Lake, Algonquin, Lake in the Hills, Woodstock, Barrington, Elgin, and nearby areas of Illinois. With a decade of experience under our belts, we have the expertise and knowledge needed to plan out an outdoor stone step design and installation that will benefit you and your property.
Contact us today at (815) 596-0070 to schedule a consultation with a member of our hardscaping team so we can begin the process of beautifying your outdoor space.